Sunday, December 18, 2011

Magic, Magic, Everywhere!

So a friend posted something on FB about how great it is that pacifiers were invented, and I got one of those weird interests in it, and googled the history of pacifiers. I don't know why it sparked my interest, but I just sort of figured they've been around forever because most parents learn on their own in the first couple of weeks that if you put your finger in their mouths, they stop crying and fall asleep. I figured humans have been using them for 10,000 years in one form or another, and I wanted to see what a neolithic pacifier might have looked like.

It turns out the modern pacifier goes back to the 1600s, at least. And look at this:
In England in the 17th–19th centuries, a coral meant a teething toy made of coral, ivory or bone, often mounted in silver as the handle of a rattle.[1] A museum curator has suggested that these substances were used as "sympathetic magic"[2] and that the animal bone could symbolize animal strength to help the child cope with pain.
Magic. It's everywhere. Why the fuck would I give a shit about the history of the human pacifier? I dunno. Seemed interesting at the time. And I found magic in it.

This New Year, New You thing Deb's doing is important. Radical transformation of your life through applied magic. Magic's in the cracks and crevices of every aspect of existence because it's how the universe works.

And we have the privilege, the honor of being called to this, chosen to be magicians. Everyone doesn't get that calling. Everyone doesn't get shown the keys to the manifestation process of the universe. We're a specialized elect group among humanity. Shamans, priests, magicians. We stand as the fulcrum between the worlds Above and the worlds Below, we speak things into being, encapsulating the invisible inspirations and ideas into symbolic form that take on layers of existence as they come down the chain of manifestation into being.

That's my model, anyway, basically the water vapor cycle. Ascend, condense, fall, evaporate, repeat, but it's magic and not water.

Whatever model works for you, use it. Create your world.

4 comments:

  1. Agreed! Magic is a natural process, just like the myriad of other cycles you could talk about with a 'scientific' pedigree. The greatest blunder of our modern era was the divorce of magic from scientific discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Thus, for example, the Galelareese think that when your teeth are being filed you should you should keep spitting on a pebble, for this established a homeopathic connexion between you and the pebble, by virtue of which you teeth will henceforth be as hard and durable as stone." -Golden bough

    There are actually quite a few charms and tools for creating stronger teeth in human history. Bone, ivory and coral are hard enough to work in that way. Though personally I prefer the ones where you gift a dropped tooth to an animal (such as a mouse or goat) renowned for having hard teeth, and then ask it to give you one as hard as it's own in exchange.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, you said exactly what I'm thinking. I'm so happy to have you on board for the Experiment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know who invented the pacifier, but I'd like to give hir a big hug for making my life SO much better. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, your opinions are valued, even if I disagree with them. Please feel free to criticize my ideas and arguments, question my observations, and push back if you disagree.