Thursday, May 26, 2011

Deliciousness

Spring's here, and I get to play outside in the Kingdom. Since writing the Home Pwnership post, I've been craving delicious kabobs, so I made some. It's easy, it's delicious, and it's fun. It's only magical in that I'm a magician. If you're looking for secret occult insights into greater enjoyment of your world, this could technically count, but that's totally stretching it. I didn't conjure anything, and the only holy rites I performed was saying grace before I ate. If you're looking for cool magical stuff, this post isn't for you.

And Deb, this is a tribute to your weekly recipe posts. To the regular readers who are looking for magic posts, I promise not to do weekly recipe stuff, but once in a while you can expect to see some flotsam and jetsam like this wash up on the blog.

  • Meat cubes (I like red meat cubes. You can get enough to feed a family of 5 for $5.)
  • Kabob sticks
  • Baby bella mushrooms
  • Vidalia onions
  • Green pepper
  • Grape or Cherry tomatoes
  • Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue sauce
  • Minute Rice
  • Lipton pitcher sized tea bag
  • Earl Grey single cup tea bag



  1. Put the meat cubes in a bowl and season them thoroughly with Montreal Steak Seasoning.
  2. Cut the peppers and onions into 1" squares.
  3. Build kabobs.
  4. Throw them on a grill.
  5. Put some barbecue sauce over them.
  6. Close the lid.
  7. Go put the water on to boil for the rice.
  8. Put a cup of water in a microwave safe measuring cup, throw in the tea bags, and microwave it for two minutes.
  9. While that's cooking, go flip your kabobs. 
  10. Put another layer of BBQ sauce on 'em.
  11. Close the lid.
  12. Go back in and the water's probably boiling for your rice. Add the rice and mix it up and set it in the back burner, covered, to absorb the water and become instant rice-like product.
  13. Take the tea out of the microwave and get the bags out.
  14. Mix it in a pitcher with cold cold water and sweeten to taste.
  15. Flip the kabobs again and add another layer of BBQ sauce.
  16. Set the table, dish the rice out and get the cups and ice out.
  17. Fetch the kabobs.
  18. Gather up the family and serve.


So freakin' good. Not that unhealthy. Took about half an hour altogether. Cost about $20 and fed all five of us and there were leftovers. Should have tenderized the meat a bit, but my wife was on the phone, and I didn't want to make a ruckus.

4 comments:

  1. There's an old Middle Eastern trick to getting really tender kabobs. When you are seasoning the kabobs, cut up some kiwis--yes kiwis--and mix it in. It may sound gross, but it makes the meat really tender and gives it a delicious flavor.

    Now, you've made me hungry for kabobs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, now I want kabobs too! I'll have to try out this recipe soon, and figure out that kiwi trick that Conjureman mentioned :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Montreal Steak Seasoning
    Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue sauce

    Greatest additions to grilling since fire.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, your opinions are valued, even if I disagree with them. Please feel free to criticize my ideas and arguments, question my observations, and push back if you disagree.