Thursday, September 23, 2010

Gunpowder Magic

Heh, I love Gnostic Conjure. Today he's got a post on Frenemies. And it uses GUNPOWDER!

I love using gunpowder in my magical rites. I miss Goetia because I had a lot of opportunities to use it with those spirits in particular. Bune loved it in his spirit pot, and there's something about the smell of just-burned gunpowder that reminds you of hell.

Do I need to point out that it's dangerous, extreme caution must be used, a (very very) little goes a really long way, and don't be stupid? Probably. So pretend I did.

I like the way he suggests you use it, with the candle igniting the little charge. I'm absolutely positive someone somewhere is going to use too much, ignoring his emphasis on a tiny little pinch, and it's going to blow the candle, shards of shattered jar, and molasses all over the room.

And I feel really bad for that person, for sure.

So where do you get gunpowder, you ask? WalMart, of course! In the sporting goods section, because how can it be a sport without gunpowder? At least, that's where I got mine last time I bought it. And it's not really gunpowder, it's flash powder for black powder guns. But it works. In college, an acquaintance invited me out to a quarry to blow up some pipe bombs he'd made from the stuff, and a good time was had by all.

My local occult and Wiccan supply shop would never sell gunpowder. They do, however, sell both sulfur and salt peter in small amounts, which combined in proper proportions with powdered charcoal (plain old Kingsford, not match light, not self-igniting-incense coals) makes gunpowder. I'm not giving out the exact proportions, but it wouldn't take long to find it on the internet.

As an ingredient, it's best used when you want some explosive results. If you're going to put it into a spirit pot, use a very, very small amount, and make sure it's mixed in well with the soil so it doesn't explode when your house catches on fire.

Kammael's influence should be included with this ingredient because he's the Archangel of Mars, and it's important to have some intelligence involved when you're doing magic with gunpowder. I mean, obviously the intelligence isn't coming from the magician, eh? You're playing with explosives for Christ's sake! Not frickin' smart!

But fun.

Trace the seal of Kammael over the powder when you've made it. Only make what you need for the rite. Do not store the left overs. Do not dispose of the leftovers by tossing it on the charcoal briquette just to hear it sizzle and pop. Do not pack it in PVC pipes and toss them on the Samhain bonfire when no one's looking, and then start screaming, "It's SATAN, I knew it!!!" when it blows up.

If there are any leftovers, mix it up (gently) with dirt or its equal weight in more carbon, and then sprinkle it finely in your garden, plants, or in the grass. Plants like potassium nitrates and sulfur and carbon.

10 comments:

  1. Use it caution...and please don't blow up your garden...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "so it doesn't explode when your house catches on fire." Hah.

    Also, I totally know what I'm doing on Samhain now =p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Y'know, if you use enough gunpowder, it will solve your lack of levitating skills. (I know, I a so full of helpful advice, these days.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy $#@! you're right. Some clod will undoubtedly put too much gunpowder in there and blow their face off. Obligatory safety notice to be added, shortly.

    Intelligence indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Balt: I strongly suspect that no matter how many warnings you put on it, Frater Clod will inevitably fuck it up. Every time I come up with a foolproof anything, God produces a better fool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend of mine was doing some nefarious rites and used gunpowder which he slowly poured from a vial into the fire. Needless to say, the gunpowder caught fire all the way up and burned his hand pretty bad.

    He had to go to the emergency and explain himself - some old hags there thought he was a Satanist! hah!.

    george

    ReplyDelete
  7. While I would never attempt it, the image produced by that Samhain bonfire idea will amuse me for years to come. When I'm off in the corner alone at Sabbat, grinning to myself, this will be why.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any post called Gunpodwer Magic is cool!

    --
    Hieronimo (Fifteen year old brain, 40-something body)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ever try creating flaming sigils from homemade napalm? No shit, it works well. Take Styrofoam from packing materials (or if, like me, you're a fatass, last nights chinese take-out container, if you wash it out first)soak in gas until its the consistency of clay and equally shapeable, form into whatever sigil is appropriate to your working then let sit until it dries. I've used this several times in outdoor evocations and I gotta say, its pretty freakin' impressive. Have sand available to throw on top of your flaming sigil afterwards; Water isnt quite effective at extinguishing these. On the plus side, its a controlled burn that doesnt expand or grow, your sigil will burn very hot strong, but won't spread and ignite anything else. (Unless RO's aforementioned Frater Clod happens to have laid it neatly upon a table or some other equally flammable object instead of the ground) On the minus side, if you're a complete jackass and get this stuff on you, it will burn right thru to the bone. It does, apparently, impress spirits pretty well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. >>>Every time I come up with a foolproof anything, God produces a better fool.<<<

    I love your quote OR

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, your opinions are valued, even if I disagree with them. Please feel free to criticize my ideas and arguments, question my observations, and push back if you disagree.