Monday, June 29, 2009

The Power to be a Magician

Magicians are a rare breed. I personally think they're the equivalent of Iamblichus' "Hero" classification of entities. That makes us like Hercules, half immortal and half mortal.

I base this on the Corpus Hermeticum's Divine Pymander, where it talks about the reason Man became flesh, and the nature of Man. Iamblichus would have been familiar, I suspect, of this basic Hermetic belief, writing as he did in Egypt in the neoplatonic period. Man is the Image of the First Father, and is an immortal on par with the Logos in the original hierarchy. Man wanders down through the spheres, pokes his head into Nature, sees a reflection of himself and falls in love. Next thing you know, Nature's created an image of the reflection, because She's in Love with Man's image too. Both can be excused for their infatuation when it is understood that Man was the Image of the First Father. Man cohabits the image made by Nature, and voila, Humankind is created, immortal by being of divine race, mortal in form, and all for the sake of love.

Isn't it romantic?

So we're Heroes. Now obviously, we aren't going around with the strength of the Gods, going on fateful quests, and creating a new cycle of myths for the next generation to evaluate and draw insight from, are we?

Well, honestly, we are. Magicians have the strength of the Gods. We are the image of God, and are aware of "their" divine race. We accomplish creation in an ongoing process that follows God's path of manifestation, through Word and spirits, to accomplish the manifestation of our thoughts.

We go on fateful quests. We work with certain spirits, and the next thing you know you're surrounded by opportunities to implement the experience you've gained. The fates align our reality to accomplish specific goals.

And the new cycle of myths? How many people have poured over Crowley's life, gaining insight and inspiration? Dione Fortune, Mathers, Westcott, Regardie, and the more obscure members of the GD left diaries and records of their Works that have provided our generation of magicians with wisdom and clues to finding our own paths of gnosis. We are currently Working in a time that will become poured over by the next generation of magicians. This Traditional Magic revival we're going through is going to be a page in occult history that feeds the next big movement in thirty years.

Not everyone who happens to be human is a magician. I've had people ask me whether talent or skill is more important, and I've answered both ways and neither in the past. Right now I think everyone can develop the talent, but not everyone is destined to do so. Skill comes with experience, experience comes from being called to the occult, which means you have to have the talent to hear and respond, so it's all pretty incestuous. I think I can get away with saying usually the talent is present before the skills are developed, but both talent and skill increase with practice. They are interdependent on one another.

The Power of a Magician comes from their relationship with the First Father. Being made in his image, we can do "magic" the same way he can. Our thoughts become reality. We can create. We converse with the Angels and Daimons and other Heroes, and we work together to make things happen. It is from our divine nature that the power to be a magician flows.

4 comments:

  1. That's a great post RO. You have a real knack for explaining traditional texts in an accessable way.

    I had always thought that we were striveing to GET to that Hero stage, instead of already being there. Hero I suppose, is in the action of being Heroic! Getting off your rump and doing awesome stuff does make one a Hero.

    A proud family tradition of meddling.

    It's interesting to me that the second stage in Hindu Tantra for the practitioner is that of "Vira" or "Hero"! The first being "Pashu" aka Animal or Beast, and the thir being "Divya" or "God".

    ReplyDelete
  2. This...is...so...weird...!!!!!!!!!!
    I've literally JUST put down a book on alchemy that I've been struggling with using Narcissus and mirrors and Nature as allegories. I was trying to clearly understand the habitation of the reflection bit and was having little success as my mind she was-a-wanderin'.

    So I thought I'd give it a rest and check my emails instead. I put the book down, hopped online...and found your post. My..heart..is..in..my...mouth..
    Synchronicity is afoot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. >>Getting off your rump and doing awesome stuff does make one a Hero.

    And that requires getting out of bed in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jow, thanks, that's the kind of thing I like to hear. I try to make traditional texts accessible. I think the journey towards becoming a magician is the process of becoming a Hero. We don't start off there, that's for sure.

    I think it's not wrong to say K&CHGA is a transition point, but I hesitate to say it's the only way. It's everything that leads up to a spiritual rebirth, the knowledge, the study, the practice, everything that comes together for you in a vision of the universal cosmic hierarchy and your place within it.

    Once you hit that transition point, it seems, people are ready to start grimoire-style magic, magic that operates within the hierarchy of the neo-platonic philosophers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments, your opinions are valued, even if I disagree with them. Please feel free to criticize my ideas and arguments, question my observations, and push back if you disagree.